Divorce Law in Ottawa
- Custody, including access to information and decision making regarding your children
- Access and parenting schedules, including supervised access
- Grandparent rights
- Property division and the equalization of net family property
- Exclusive possession of the matrimonial home and occupation rent
Your Financial Security
- Child support and the sharing of expenses (sometimes called "special and extraordinary expenses")
- Spousal support
- Arrears of support and/or retroactive support applications
- Representation in Family Responsibility Office enforcement proceedings
- Exclusive possession of the matrimonial home
- Restraining Orders
- Varying existing court Orders and agreements ("Motions to Change")
- International travel with children following separation
- Moving with children following separation
- Foreign divorce opinion letters
Dispute Resolution Options
- Court proceedings, including Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Family Branch) and Ontario Court of Justice
- Collaborative Family Law
Domestic Contracts and Agreements
- Independent Legal Advice
- Separation Agreements
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Marriage Contracts (sometimes called "prenups", "prenuptial agreements", "postnups" or "postnupital agreements")
Preparing, serving and filing divorce papers where the parties agree to the divorce
We are able to assist you in various ways, including advising you on completing court documents and the court process if you wish to represent yourself ("unbundled services"), providing independent legal advice with respect to agreements and mediation, assisting you with negotiating a settlement, drafting agreements, and representing you in court.
If you are self-represented in family court but would like the benefit of on-going legal advice, consider our Legal Coaching Subscription Service.
Representation Outside of Ottawa
We represent clients from all areas of Ottawa, including Orleans, Barrhaven, Stittsville, Nepean, Kanata, Carp, Bell's Corners, Gloucester, Rockcliffe Park, Vanier, Cumberland, West Carleton, Osgoode, Rideau and Goulbourn. We also represent clients from outside of Ottawa, including Cornwall, Perth, Renfrew, L'Orignal, Hawkesbury, and Carleton Place.
Notary and Commissioning Services
We are both Notaries and a Commissioners of Oaths. We are available to commission or notarize your signature, prepare notarized copies, and to assist with statutory declarations, including with respect to passport applications and other government forms. Please note that you will be required to make an appointment for these services and to provide proof of your identity.