Notary Services

What is a “notary public”?

A notary public is a public official who notarizes legal documents and who can also administer and take oaths and affirmations, among other tasks.

Documents are notarized to deter fraud and to ensure they are properly executed. An impartial witness (the notary) identifies signers – usually by having the signer provide photo ID. In cases involving the certification of documents, all that is generally required is the original document to compare to the photocopy which is being certified.

Canadian notaries public (except in the Province of British Columbia and Quebec), can administer oaths, witness signatures on affidavits and statutory declarations, provide acknowledgements, certify true copies.

The lawyers at Fresh Legal are also notaries public and offer these services.

What kinds of documents do we notarize?

Certified true copies

A certified copy is a copy (often a photocopy) of a primary document that has an endorsement or certificate that it is a true copy. It does not certify that the primary document is genuine, only that it is a true copy.


An affidavit is a document containing statements that are verified by the swearing of an oath or by an affirmation.  Evidence in Family Court is generally submitted through an affidavit. 

statutory declarations

A statutory declaration is a written declaration used to assert the truth of any fact or facts or of any account in writing. A statutory declaration is similar to an affidavit expect that it is usually used outside of court settings.

kid airport.jpg

consent to travel documents

It is recommended that children carry a consent letter if they are travelling abroad with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, alone, or with a group such as a school trip. A consent letter can simplify travel for children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that children have permission to travel abroad from the parent or guardian who is not accompanying them.

The Government of Canada has templates you can use to draft your own consent letter for children travelling abroad which you can then get notarized.