Our office hours are typically Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. We will do our best to accommodate your schedule when booking meetings, but please note that we are available outside of office hours by special appointment only.
We use an online scheduling tool, which you can access at any time to book an appointment with your lawyer. You can find it here.
Communication With You
We will keep you informed of all developments in your case but in order to keep your costs down we will only communicate with you when necessary. If you do not hear from us, it is because we do not have anything new to report to you.
We will forward to you copies of all relevant correspondence between lawyers, pleadings, any other court documents, and reports. We will send you copies of this material by e-mail, if possible, and if not, then we will send you paper copies of this material. It is important for you to keep this material in an organized format.
We will communicate with you in most cases by telephone and e-mail. If possible, we ask you to book an appointment when you wish to discuss your case by telephone to ensure that we are available and as prepared as possible. This will help keep your costs down by making the best possible use of our time.
If you e-mail us or leave us a telephone message, we will make every effort to reply to you by the end of the next business day and we ask that you do the same.
Your Role as Client
We can only do our job at our best if we have your trust and are fully informed. We wish to stress the importance of giving us all the facts and of being totally honest with us. In particular:
- Give us all the information and documents that you have, or have access to, which you think could help us in working on your case. In the case of documents, please provide us with photocopies (not originals) but keep the originals in a safe location in case they are required.
- If your or your spouse’s property or financial circumstances change, inform us immediately.
- If your spouse is harassing you or being abusive, keep a daily written record of such problems and provide us with a copy monthly.
- If your contact information changes, inform us immediately.
- Keep us informed of all facts that come to your attention that relate to your matter in any way.
- Advise us of any inaccuracies you become aware of in documents or information you have provided to us as soon as possible.
When we have a meeting scheduled, we will in most cases be required to prepare in advance (e.g. reviewing your file, recent correspondence, research, etc.) If you cancel or reschedule your appointment for any reason, you will be charged for the time we spent preparing regardless.
Children in the Office
We ask that you make every effort not to bring your child(ren) to our meetings, or to the office for any reason (e.g. dropping off documents). It is difficult for you to concentrate fully during our meetings if your child(ren) is/are present. Further, it is in your child(ren)’s best interests to be shielded as much as possible from the legal issues as well as any conflict between you and your spouse.
Forms of Payment
We accept payment of accounts and retainers by cash, money order, personal or certified cheque, credit cards and e-mail transfer. Should you choose to pay or replenish your retainer by personal cheque, there may be a delay in the commencement of work on your file as we await confirmation from our bank that your cheque has cleared.
Payments by e-mail transfer should be sent to email@example.com. Please make sure to use a password we know. We find things like your middle name or a child's name are easy for everyone.
Payments by credit card are made online. Each bill you receive will have links to make credit card payment at the bottom.
We bill our clients on a regular basis for fees and disbursements. If your case is very active, particularly if we are in court, you may get accounts from us more frequently or after certain steps or court appearances. You will also be billed as soon as possible upon the completion of work on your file. Our bills will detail the work done and the expenses we have had to pay on your behalf or that you have been charged for. We send accounts by email in PDF format or via Clio Connect (an online portal) whenever possible.
Due to the inherent risks associated with the Internet, we assume no responsibility for unauthorized interception of any Internet communication with you or the transmission of computer viruses.
Payment by Third Parties (Other Than Legal Aid)
If someone other than you provides our office with funds on your behalf:
- They will not have access to information about the work done for you or about your case unless you specifically authorize use to release such information to them in writing;
- They will not be given information about how the funds are applied;
- All accounts will be provided to you alone and they will not receive copies from our office;
- All accounts will be owed by you alone; and
- Any unused portion of said funds will be refunded to you, not them, and they will not, in that event, receive notice from our office of the return of the funds.