Book a Consultation with an Ottawa Family Lawyer
Recently separated or considering separation? Book a meeting with one of our Ottawa family lawyers to discuss your rights, obligations and options.
What can you expect during our first meeting?
Initial consultation are usually about 60 to 90 minutes long. You will meet with a lawyer who will discuss your case and answer as many of your questions as possible. We will discuss your options for moving forward, costs, and help you make an action plan. This meeting is also a chance for you and the lawyer to get to know each other, and for you each to decide if you want our firm to represent you.
It is our goal that you will leave the meeting with information about your rights and obligations and your options, and to have your most pressing questions answered.
Your meeting is confidential, and you have no obligation to retain the lawyer who met with you.
Why should I meet with a lawyer?
Even if your divorce or separation is amicable, you should consult with a lawyer. There are many reasons for this:
- A lawyer can help you understand all of your rights and obligations
- Without a lawyer, you may agree to less than you deserve, pay more than you should, or waive rights without even knowing it
- A lawyer can provide information and advice tailored to your family’s experiences, situation, assets and debts
When should I meet with a lawyer?
The earlier you meet with a lawyer, the better, but we can meet with you at any time during the process.
What questions will we answer in your first meeting?
Depending on your situation, you may have different questions. We will address as many of them as possible. Your questions might include:
- Where will my kids live?
- How is custody decided?
- How much support will I receive or have to pay?
- Can I stay in my house?
- Can I make my spouse move out?
- Will I lose my house?
- What will happen to my pension, my business, etc.?
- What will the process be?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What can I do right now to move things forward?
How can I prepare for our first meeting?
- Prepare a timeline of your relationship, including important events such as your date of marriage, your children’s birthdays, when you bought your home, etc.
- Prepare a list of your assets and debts that you have right now.
- To the best of your ability, make a list of the assets and debts you had on the date you married or moved in together.
- Make a list of your most pressing questions. Meeting with a lawyer can be stressful and overwhelming, and having your questions written down can help you make sure you ask everything you want to.
How can I book a meeting?
Call our office at 613-627-4800 or use the contact form below to get in touch today. If you want to meet with a particular lawyer, please indicate this when you contact us.
What will it cost?
Our consultations are $250.00 including HST, regardless of the length of the meeting or issues. It is payable at the time of the meeting by cash or credit card.
Can I talk to you for free?
If you want to get an idea of how we work and whether we can help you prior to booking a consultation, please schedule a phone call today. Please note we cannot provide legal advice during this phone call.